Friday, April 15, 2011

Photo Class: Loud

Today's lesson was on adjusting the white balance in your photos, and the theme was "Loud." On a whim, I decided to bring my camera to work with me today, because, who knows? I might have come across someone in a loud Hawaiian shirt.

Didn't happen. But as I was waiting for the elevator, I heard a very loud drilling sound coming from the foyer where two workers were doing something with the marble tiles that line the ceiling joists. I quickly checked my settings, then took one snap and started to play with the settings a little more. Just as I was about to take some more pix, a security guard came up to me and informed me that I was not allowed to take pictures inside the building.

So this was the only picture I got. The "leading lines" aren't really working in my favour and I've got the subject matter boringly centred, but the picture doesn't totally suck.
f/3.5, 1/30, ISO/800,
light balance set to "sunlight"
I had actually discovered the white-balance setting on my camera by accident the other day. The same day I accidentally set it to format all my pictures as CR2 images - a special Canon format; I couldn't even preview them! I'll have to dig out the software that came with the camera.

As a reward for slogging through that explanation, here is a quick snap of me in the famous CASUAL ELEGANT ATTIRE. The event was at the Science & Technology Museum, and I had a chance to play with the Vandegraff generator. Isn't that what everyone does when they go to a soirée?

Taken with my BlackBerry
It's probably not the glam shot you were expecting, but you get the idea. As it happened, most people were dressed comparably, though I did see some questionable outfits, including leggings worn as pants with a cropped crocheted sweater. Only Barbie could get away with that, and this woman was no Barbie.

I must say, that was one of the most fun evening events I've ever attended. It combined geeky fun with excellent food and an open bar. What's not to love?

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever get your hair to calm down after that? My hair looks close to that at the best of times, so I would never go near that voluntarily!

    Re the photo...I'm not art-critique, but I actually really loved the play of the lines and light...really great!. And, I can almost hear it. I thought you were going to say the security guard was keeping you away in case of falling marble tile! ouch.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...