Sunday, August 14, 2011

Not functioning at full potential

Night and Sleep    |    Evelyn De Morgan
This print may be purchased through Illusions Gallery
I'm not sick, but for some reason all I want to do today is sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I got up, had breakfast and coffee, then lay down for a nap at 11 a.m., and woke up at 2:30 p.m.! And still, all I want to do is climb into those cool sheets beneath the slowly revolving fan and drift off into that nowhere Land of Nod.

It feels like there is a lead weight in my forehead that wants to turn me horizontal; my neck has all the strength of cooked pasta. My breathing tends toward sighing. I have siren-like flashbacks of those daytime dreams (which, oddly enough, were a continuation of my morning dreams - I've never had that happen, even when I wanted it).

But if I sleep now, I won't sleep tonight. Then getting up tomorrow will be misery.

Our cat, Elly, curls with her paw over her nose, and snores lightly, taunting me with her liberty to sleep wherever and whenever she wishes.

I wonder what my sleep cycle will be like when I have retired, when there will be few occasions when I must rise by a certain hour. Will I be like Elly, a narcoleptic sloth? Or will I have to wait for heaven to experience that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...