Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Growing

They grow up so fast!
For the past several Saturday mornings, Steve and I have been learning how to be better parents.

You might think (those of you with young children) that the hard work of parenting is over. I sure thought it would be.

You - and I - would be wrong.

I really thought that loving my children would be enough, that my instincts, prayers, and good intentions would see me through. But I've come to realize that (a) my instincts often misfire, (b) my prayers too often come in moments of desperation, and (c) my good intentions fly out the window when my feelings are hurt or when I'm afraid.

But I've also learned there are actual skills to parenting. And skills can be learned.

So we are learning about mindfulness, about being effective, rather than right.

So this week, I am thankful for the course we found, for the children who have been my guinea pigs, and for the husband who is beside me on this roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...