Saturday, January 4, 2014

Mind Games

Way back in mid-December, I shared the "good health" objectives I had set myself during this retirement/convalescent period. They were:
  • Walk every day 
  • Meditate 
  • Do yoga 
  • Eat well 
You wouldn't think those would be hard to do, would you? Well they have proven to be. I manage to do one or two of the list each day. I have yet to do all four.

I'm not sure exactly what's up with that. It has been a busy period of time, for sure. And I am indeed lazy, absolutely for sure. It reminds me of a Bible verse that has stuck with me, lo, these many years:
I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.
                                                ~ Romans 7:15
(I wouldn't necessarily say I'm doing "what I hate," but you get the idea.)

It's frustrating. I behave as if there are some kind of "offset" points for doing one thing on the list, so I can pat myself on the back and ignore everything else. Like: I walked 30 minutes today, so I can eat pie a la mode for dessert. Or: Well, I didn't get outdoors today, but I did meditate for about 5 minutes, so that's good.

It's nuts, I tell you. Any tips?

10 comments:

  1. Could you start a routine? For example, go for a walk after breakfast. Then do some yoga when you return from your walk (after, supposedly, you are warmed up from the walk). A little later on, plan meals for the next day, so you know ahead of time what you are having. Then maybe after dinner or before bed, do some meditating. Always easier said than done. But a routine can keep you moving throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped that the routine would just . . . happen. Guess not.

      Delete
  2. Everything is a little easier with a support system. Try a life coach or online accountability or partners. (Not a trainer who yells at you, but someone/people walking with you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Hadn't considered that option. Not sure I can afford a life coach right now, but I may be able to find a buddy.

      Delete
  3. I think it's fine to give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. It's always great to strive to do more, but if you're going for perfect, then more often than not you'll probably give up before you get there. 1 out of 4 is better than 0 out of 4, right?

    And I think the above suggestions are great. I had to consciously create a routine to get myself to the gym (still doesn't work as frequently as I'd like) or it just wouldn't happen. Saying I'm going to go is different than picking a specific time to go each and every day. Then I don't have the excuse of being too busy or forgetting since it's already scheduled in my day. And buddies help too- I was never more consistent than when running with Stacey. You're always afraid to "let the other person down" by canceling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, something is better than nothing, and I'm only two weeks into this. The major one probably is the walking, and that's the one I've been best at, largely because Steve gets me moving. I hope I keep it up after he goes back to work on Monday.

      Delete
  4. I think the routine is a good plan. Sometimes, in order to get things done, I have to make myself a list. It includes EVERYTHING I do during the day and gives me an order to it in. I especially have to do it when I am not working because otherwise I sleep in, lay on the couch, read a book, watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's so easy to look up at 5:00 in the evening and not have accomplished anything (other than a blog post, perhaps)!

      Delete
  5. What about trying 2 things a day in January and then 3 for February and 4 for March? Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...