Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Signs of Spring

First buds of spring | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

Usually, by this time of year, we've had quite a few mild days (and by "mild" I mean well above freezing -- warm enough that you'll see students wearing shorts), but this year, we seem to have been frozen (literally) in the polar vortex. In fact, the City of Ottawa issued a frostbite warning last night. I shared the notification on my Facebook wall and people thought it was a hoax. Sorry. No.

But if I open my eyes, I can see that the world does seem to be moving toward spring. Here are the signs I've found.


Tulips
Fresh tulips in a sunny window | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

These aren't in gardens here yet, but they aren't available quite year-round at our produce store, so when they finally appear, I am ravenous for them.

First Buds on the Trees

Spring buds | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

No, this is not a pussywillow. I think it's a magnolia, but I can't be certain. These, on the other hand . . .

Pussywillows

Pussywillows | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

If I recall correctly, pussywillows hardly stay in the stores for any time at all (and I've never been able to find them in the forest), so I was really excited to bring some home with the tulips today.

Mud and Ugly Snow

Ugly snow in spring | Wynn Anne's Meanderings
They layers are kind of cool, but the dirt is ugly.

Dirty spring snowbanks | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

As all that snow melts, the ground beneath the well-trodden paths turns to muck. Kane and I may, for a while, switch to walking on sidewalks and roads (right now, they are a disaster of salt and sand). For now, I always make sure to end our walk in a snowy place, so he can wash off his paws before coming indoors or into the car.

Unscooped Poop

No picture for this one. (You're most welcome.) But every time I see one, I want to go find that pet-owner in the middle of the night and punch them in the throat.

Potholes

Pot holes | Wynn Anne's Meanderings

We joke that Ottawa has only two seasons: winter and pothole season. (Or winter and construction season.) Some roads aren't too bad, but others are insane.

Assuming we can escape the frigid weather, I will soon be able to walk Kane without putting on 85 layers of sweaters, scarves and hats. The banks of dirty snow on the verges of the roads will melt away and be replaced with green. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I too am ravenous for tulips. I am ravenous for anything not winter right now.

    I'm happy when it's warmer (but it doesn't seem to last!) but Monty is SO dirty when we get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirty sidewalks SUCK! But they're easier to walk on than the mushy snow in the parks.

      Delete

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...