Wednesday, May 6, 2015

So Many Questions

Cholla (pronounced "choya") cactus flower, taken in at Crystal Cove State Park, California
Cholla (pronounced "choya") cactus flower, taken in at Crystal Cove State Park, California
That picture is just a sneak peek of what I've brought back from our week in California. It was beautiful there, as always, but I have scads of pictures to go through, and I want to present them in a way that makes sense thematically. So it'll be a while before you see those.

In the meantime, my fan club* has lamented that I haven't posted in a while, so here's a little something to tide you over.

Quite some time ago, I discovered Quora, an online forum for asking opinion-based questions.

Unlike, say, Ask.com, it doesn't try to save people from flexing their Google muscles. Rather, it invites people to pose their "dropping off to sleep" or "shower" questions: those things that pop into your mind while you're not quite awake and your mind wanders free.

Like this one: In countries with ambient temperatures below 0˚C, like Canada and Russia, what makes water not freeze in the public pipelines network to homes?

Good question, right? There are already 19 answers to the question.

Other questions have a more philosophical bent. My husband is a frequent participant on discussions related to theology, faith, and Christianity.

I subscribed to Quora, and receive a periodic bulletin that I almost always read because the information is quirky and sometimes funny or useful.

Very rarely, I actually post an answer to a question. One of those questions was:

What is the worst feeling in the world?

I answered it almost two years ago with: Having one's child attempt or commit suicide.

Having answered the question, I now receive an update whenever someone else provides an answer or comment.

At first, I was appalled at what I perceived as the shallowness of others: slow internet connection, broken cell phones, rejection from something you want (like a job). Even the disappointment of biting into a chocolate-chip cookie, only to discover it has raisins instead.

Seriously? I thought, That's the worst feeling you can imagine? Well, then, I hope that's the worst life ever gets for you.

So I kind of stopped paying attention, until recently. There were plenty of people who were broken by lost romantic loves and rejection. Others were undone by career failures. A surprising number were devastated by having disappointed their parents.
I've hurt the only woman in my life who loved me and all of my shortcomings: my Mom.
Some were eloquent.
When you treat some person like the entire book of your life.
But,
That person knowingly/unknowingly treats you as just another page of his/her life.
If you're looking for an interesting way to while away a little time, check it out.

* My "fan club" is also known as "my husband."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...